Monday, November 10, 2014

The Top 5%

I have had a fair amount of exposure to open-source projects, but I have contributed basically nothing to any of them. However, I do feel like being able to contribute to such projects is a sign of a great programmer. In Eric Raymond's The Cathedral and the Bazaar, Raymond quotes a friend who suggests that "open source has been successful partly because its culture only accepts the most talented 5% or so of the programming population." If I haven't been able to find my way into open source, does that mean that I'm not among the top 5% of the world's programming population? Do I want to be? What does it take to reach this level? I think about some of the developers I know who participate in open source a lot. A major difference between them and myself is the level of drive they seem to have. These people never stop programming. They seem full of good ideas and creative solutions. I want to be more like that. I want to be in the top 5%.

1 comment:

  1. Some programmers do spend lots of time programming and it can get really intense. It's incredible.

    ReplyDelete