Thursday, November 20, 2014

Balancing Priorities

I spend the vast amount of my time on the computer. These days, that time is almost entirely spent doing homework. Over the summer, my time was consumed with work. On the weekends, I find time to do personal programming projects. As a programmer, it makes sense that my time is often spent in front of a screen. However, even when I'm not doing "busy" stuff like homework, I do tend to spend most of my relaxing time on electronics. I like to play games to unwind at the end of the day. I chat with people on Skype. I even draw on my computer. However, I do feel like I live a balanced life. I don't waste all my time browsing social media or doing raids on MMOs - as the readings for our class make all forms computer overuse sound like. I don't neglect my classes or my work, and I certainly don't neglect my family life. I feel like it is definitely possible to use computers heavily without being unbalanced. You must know where your priorities are - God first, family second, work third, and fun last.

3 comments:

  1. I guess the measure you can use for computer "overuse" is putting work and school aside, can you live without a bright screen or an internet connection? I also happen to spend much of my time with some sort of electronic device, its almost unavoidable in our given industry, but when its family time I should be able to play with my son or a read a book with my wife without the constant need to check email or update my status. I think we can still claim Aristotelian virtue in regards to computer usage if outside of necessity, we don't have to have a burning need to go rushing back to something with circuits and a data plan as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm guilty of some of these things as well, especially homework. I also agree with what Lawrence said. I believe if I didn't have a digital device around me I would be just fine and would find something useful to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that not all time spent on the computer is bad. I believe that as long as we are able to live balanced lives that the time we spend on the computer is ok. We need to be cautious however to maintain the balance.

    ReplyDelete